Thursday, April 17, 2008

Soggy Walls

We've had muggy weather here in Shenzhen lately. So muggy, that our drywall has decided it can no longer be asked to hold nails. Which means lots of falling artwork. Which means lots of rearranging art work to lean on flat surfaces. Which reminded me I've been wanting to do a post on all these great new acquisitions:



The large poster in the back is by my hero Steven Rydberg. See more of his work here. I brought this print rolled up in my suitcase and had it custom framed here for about $10.

The piece to the right is a collaborative effort between myself and a very talented four year old named Louise. Its one of my favorite things in the entire apartment.

The "Mer-Owl" is by John Carling. His work is so quirky and lighthearted. I originally bought this print as a gift for a certain owl obsessed girlfriend of mine (you know who you are!) and then fell in love with it. It might make its way to her yet when we have to move again, but I'm enjoying it in the meanwhile.

The "Can you keep a secret" print was a trade I did with the talented Lily Moon. Her drawings reminded me of Edward Gorey or even Magritte, but with a wonderful feminine twist.

The ceramic rabbit was a purchase at a housewares fair here in Shenzhen. I'm sure this has something to do with the Chinese Zodiac, but I liked his springy ears and bold colors. I'm so consistently drawn to the vivid pattern and color in folk art. I am looking forward to the day when the rest of my worldly purchases can be liberated from their sad storage unit graves.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...