Thursday, December 22, 2011

Holiday Party Idea: Christmas Cookie Swap!

Have you ever tried a holiday cookie swap? They are so much fun. We've hosted one three years running now (Holy Moly! Three years in Hawaii amazes me. It feels like months.) and it's become a tradition I look forward to each Christmas.

Just look at this pretty assortment! Everyone brings a batch of their favorite holiday cookies and can take away as many as they brought to share. (We always seem to have extras!)

Sampling is part of the fun! We played How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Elf, and A Charlie Brown Christmas in the background to add to the festive mood.

We set up a buffet of pupus (that's "appetizers" to you mainlanders) on the bar and cookies on the dining room table. Our wonderful friends always pitch in to make these parties potluck style- it's my favorite entertaining trick because it makes the prep work so simple. All I really have to do is bake a batch of cookies, clean, put out some carrots and hummus, put on my Christmas Pandora station and get in a cheery mood!

I put my goodies in celophane bags, added a gift tag and tied them with a pretty bow. They make charming "thinking of you" gifts for my co-workers, the amazing team at the post office (I love how hard they work to make my small business hum along!) and the security guards at our building. It's nice to be appreciated, don't you think?

Have you ever done a cookie swap? How does yours work? And what is your very favorite holiday cookie? I have these Russian Tea Cakes on the brain this year, but I haven't made them yet. My Grandma makes them every year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...