Wednesday, December 16, 2009

MeleKalikimaka is the Hawaiian way to say Merry Christmas

Apologies for the light posting this week. We've been quite busy:

Doing holiday prep, shopping and wrapping (like all of you!) We hosted a cookie exchange last week which was loads of fun and I highly recommend. (All the glory, half the work, lots more wine and giggling!)

Attending a series of craft fairs- my first ever. They were a great learning experience and it certainly was fun to meet customers in person and watch them interact with my products and hear their thoughts and feedback.

Eric is in the midst of final exams for his students and final papers for graduate school.

Our landlords returned and I was anxious about them seeing the changes we've made to their lovely home. Lots of deep cleaning and primping was in order.

I've begun a new part time job at the local intermediate school as a classroom assistant and tutor. I think it will be a nice way to integrate into the community and also be more a part of the work that Eric and the other Teach for Americans are doing here.

And the nice big cherry on top has been a frightful cold passed from Eric to me that has left me woozy and lightheaded.

But I'm here now.




And I thought y'all would get a kick out of these photos of the Christmas trees in the town center. I couldn't resist the decorations- starfish, ukeleles and woven grass baskets. We've enjoyed wacky Christmases in Uganda and Thailand, but this one will have a special place in my heart. Hawaii has been a surprisingly difficult transition for me, but it's special charm is beginning to enchant me at last.

What about you? How is December treating you?

2 comments:

Momma D said...

Congratulations on the job. Those kids are lucky to have you!!

Love you,

Katherine said...

Just stumbled upon your fun blog. Sorry to hear you caught a cold, the cookie exchange sounds lovely though. Wishing you a wonderful holiday!
P.S. love the Christmas tree

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...