Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Principles of Uncertainty

I've just finished reading Maira Kalman's The Principles of Uncertainty. It was easy to zip through all the beautiful illustrations and steam of consciousness style prose, so I went through a second time. It was a wonderful peek into the life of a creative person that revealed some things and left many others hidden.



What I enjoyed most was the simple pleasures- a luscious ice cream sundae or a massive pink bed at a fancy Paris hotel, her collection of sponges from around the world.



Also evident is real joy in the act of looking. Just quietly studying something ordinary- a sink, a sofa abandoned on the curb, an old man shuffling down the street. These things carefully observed and rendered suddenly seem magical when you take the time to carefully examine them.



This little book was a great reminder of the the things I love about the creative process and what art can do when done well. This book also inspired me to do more sketching in my journals- the mishmash of thoughts and images was so compelling. I often like to keep my sketches and words separated, but perhaps a happy cross pollination would arise if I let them blend together a bit more.



See more right here and here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...