Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Flower Arrangement of the Month: February


Trader Joe's is one of my favorite places to pick up flowers during the winter- they have a lovely selection to mix and match and have alternatives to the carnations and gerber daisies found in most grocery stores. I'm hoping to carry on with my fitful arrangement of the month series now that we're a bit more settled in. Things will be thawing out here any moment and spring flowers bring an almost painful pang of joy to my heart. Those first crocuses are mighty brave flowers, to poke through the snow and slush.

This arrangement features red tulips, burgundy godetia and, my favorites, orange roses. Pinch the blooms at their base when you are choosing them- they should feel firm but not too stiff. This signals that they are ready to open beautifully the way these did. Too firm and they stay tightly shut before withering. Too soft and the heads go limp. I would have added a berry of some sort and maybe a bit of curly willow, had money been no object. I love making romantic arrangements at Valentine's day that don't involve a dozen red roses. After my years at Dilly Lily, there is nothing I find more boring.

Did you get flowers this Valentine's Day? I loved Tahiti's take on being your own Valentine- great advice!

1 comment:

Artsnark said...

gorgeous color & arrangement. I receiveda mix of freesia & tea roses - delicate, lovely & fragrant

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...