Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Happy Independence Day US of A!

How are you celebrating our beautiful, imperfect and grand experiment of a nation today? We are cooking up a batch of saur kraut and dumplings with Eric's mom and heading out to Lake Minnetonka for a sparkly fireworks show. Paul Simon's American Tune sums up exactly how I feel today; a mix of weariness, gratitude and hope. Enjoy!



American Tune by Paul Simon


Many is the time I've been mistaken, 
And many times confused 
And I've often felt forsaken, 
And certainly misused. 
But it's all right, it's all right, 
I'm just weary to my bones 
Still, you don't expect to be 
Bright and Bon Vivant 
So far away from home, 
So far away from home. 

I don't know a soul who's not been battered 
Don't have a friend who feels at ease 
Don't know a dream that's not been shattered 
Or driven to it's knees. 
But it's all right, all right, 
We've lived so well so long 
Still, when I think of the road we're traveling on, 
I wonder what went wrong, 
I can't help it 
I wonder what went wrong. 

And I dreamed I was flying. 
I dreamed that my soul rose unexpectedly, 
And looking back down on me, 
smiled reassuringly, 
And I dreamed I was dying. 
And far above, my eyes could clearly see 
The Statue of Liberty, 
Drifting away to sea 
And I dreamed I was flying. 

We come on a ship we call the Mayflower, 
We come on a ship that sailed the moon 
We come at the age's most uncertain hour 
And sing an American tune.
But it's all right, it's all right 
You can't be forever blessed 
Still, tomorrow's gonna be another working day 
And I'm trying to get some rest, 
That's all, I'm trying to get some rest.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...