Monday, May 14, 2012

DIY with The Fab Miss B: Make Your Own Vanilla Extract!

All you need to make your own vanilla extract is a bean, a knife, some booze and a bottle!

Did you know it's easy to make your own vanilla extract? I didn't until we visited The Hawaiian Vanilla Company and they told us how to do it. All you need is a cured vanilla bean, an 8oz. bottle and alcohol of your choice. (Rum and Vodka are most common.) Momma D gave me their little kit to try and we had fun preparing it together.


Simply split the bean in half with a knife to allow the seeds to infuse the liquor. No need to scrape or mash the bean- the liquid does the work of pulling the seeds and flavor out.


Slip the bean in the bottle and fill it with the booze. Let it sit in a dark cool place for three months and you'll have your very own home made vanilla extract! I can't wait to try mine, which will be ready around when I come back from New York.

Isn't it fun to discover that something you thought you had to buy is very simple to assemble yourself? I've learned how to make my own granola, bread, croutons and even chocolate sauce, and it's fun to taste the difference in food without chemicals and preservatives. Next on my list? Making authentic maraschino cherries myself! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...