Monday, September 05, 2011

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes: A Very Fun Party Treat


For our housewarming party, I made ice cream cone cupcakes! I've wanted to try this for ages. I used a regular white cake mix to which I added 1 packet of pistachio pudding and 1 1/2 cups diet ginger ale. Then I filled the cones 2/3 full and baked the mixture right in the cones at 400 for about 15-20 minutes. Who knows what those cones are made of, but they didn't even brown! It took them longer to cook through and there were a few that had to be tossed due to gloppiness.

After they were cooled, I whipped up a batch of buttercream (1/2 cup butter, 4 cups powdered sugar, a little creamy milk, a little vanilla, some lavender food coloring and lots of whipping in my mixer) and used this fancy pastry tip to ice them. Don't they look just like a luscious dollop of soft serve? I added edible glitter to the tops to make them look a bit frosty too. Pretty fun.

My friend Dan and I got into a conversation about cupcake culture and how it's sort of passed us by out here on the Big Island of Hawaii. I think the trend may be starting to wane, but I haven't lost my enthusiasm quite yet. Cupcakes are the ultimate party treat and I love an excuse to make something totally silly and completely delicious.

What do you think? Are cupcakes in or out?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...