Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Rosy Valentine's Cake

I'm always looking for an excuse to bake an elaborate cake because it's one of my favorite ways to spend a Sunday afternoon, a completed cake is a beautiful backdrop for a Love Bird Photo shoot AND I have something delicious to share with Eric over a glass of champagne that evening.

Valentine's day was the perfect occasion for just such a project. I used a simple tutorial from I am Baker to make this beautiful Rose Cake. It really was quite easy, though I must confess that I still haven't got the hang of the "crumb coat" yet. I used plain white cake mix doctored
with coconut and coconut milk. I improvised an orange curd filling with some beautiful local oranges from my friend Katie's farm.

These little Love Birds in Lemon Yellow looked just right on top of the elaborate rosettes. I also added edible pearls to the centers of the flowers. Best of all? It tasted amazing!

Did you do anything special for Valentine's Day?

1 comment:

snookiecollins said...

Very cute! Love your handi-work and I must try to make that 'Rose' cake for my daughters next birthday... (her middle name is rose & she loves all things rose because she is named after her grandmother rosemary)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...