Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Why not host a Holiday Cookie Exchange this Year?

Last year Eric and I hosted a Holiday Cookie Exchange and it was a riot. Everyone brings 2-3 dozen of a favorite family cookie and boxes or tins to cart their loot home in. All the cookies are arranged buffet style and everybody goes around creating their own pretty assortment. Guests can take as many treats as they brought and then more if there are extras once everyone has had a go 'round. I love it because you get all the glory of weeks of baking with one quarter the sweating over the oven and lots more drinking mulled wine, singing along with Bing Crosby and general merry making.

My contribution will be chocolate covered pretzels again this year because they are a cinch to make (Melt chocolate chips in microwave. Dunk pretzels. Set on sheet. Sprinkle. Cool. Donesky.) and look so pretty in an assortment. (Plus, I'm a sucker for salty/sweet.) I may also make my mom's signature Chocolate Pepper Cookies. They have a wonderful bite that is so unexpected and delicious.
I love the look of beautifully decorated sugar cookies, but mine have never ever once turned out as elegantly as these. They are so much work with the mixing, rolling, cutting, baking and then icing, food coloring, sprinkling, drying- kitchen clean up nightmare. I think I'll leave it in the hands of deeply capable professionals and stick with trading for now. Pirate ships, sugar plum fairies and polar bears are way beyond me.

What are your favorite holiday cookies? Best holiday baking secrets? Now's the time to share peeps!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...