Thursday, November 11, 2010

Giving Thanks

This year Eric and I are looking forward to hosting a Thanksgiving Feast for our Hawaiian Ohana. Thanksgiving is one of my very favorite holidays, because it is a chance for us to collectively reflect on blessings. Every single one of us has something to be thankful for- and when I stand back and look at all the riches of my life, I feel overwhelmed with gratitude. It's wonderful to be able to share that with people we love.

I've also discovered that the holidays that are filled with fresh faces and new traditions are the ones that stand out most boldly in my memory. I know this one will fit into that category. Here is a little of the inspiration for the celebration we're planning. (See the treasury live on Etsy here!)

Seasonal photographs set the tone for a celebration surrounding the ritual of harvest and abundance. I love the idea of changing up the art in your home to match your mood, set the tone and create a sense of occasion. Photography is a great way to do this since prints are inexpensive and come in standard sizes that will fit frames you already have.

Instead of relegating kids to a wobbly card table, why not give them something beautiful to play with? These gorgeous hand carved toys are sure to start a rousing game of make believe.

This linen tablecloth in a festive tartan adds an earthy warmth to the table.

Hand Calligraphed Place Cards are an elegant but personal touch.

Dig in to the feast with some beautiful mid century modern flatware...


I love the idea of re-imagining holiday traditions- which are often the same year after year and all blur together. What could be more fun than Mini pies on a stick? The perfect way to end the meal with an unexpected dash of fun and humor.

What are your Thanksgiving traditions? At my grandparent's house, we always put five kernels of dried corn next to each place settings to remember the pilgrim's first greuling winters, and read Abraham Lincoln's Thanksgiving Day Proclamation.

1 comment:

tangata said...

What a lovely concept, ohana! I got a beautiful letterpress postcard from lunalux that says "Count your blessings" I am!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...