Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Artists to Investigate: Klaus Fahlen

It was quite a challenge to choose just one image from Klaus Fahlen's portfolio to share with you, but in the end this lady won out because she perfectly suits my current frame of mind. One of the great pleasures of travel is the joy of coming home again. After madly gallivanting around some strange city, plunging back into your daily routine feels wonderful, don't you agree? I even felt happy to be in line at the post office today.

I stumbled across Mr. Fahlen's work via Oh Joy and fell instantly in love with every last illustration. It's inspired me to pick up my pen and do some fun line drawings for a change of pace. His work reminds me of one of my favorite books from childhood (perhaps you read it too!) Remember Crictor the Boa Constrictor? The illustrations there were often simple black ink drawings on a white backdrop with one color for emphasis, but he really made the most of the negative space and made all three colors work to maximum effect. There was also a great variety of texture and pattern that made them a joy to look at. (Seriously, can you click through this portfolio without smiling? I think not.) I'm just wondering where I can get my hands on some prints. (Leave me comment if you know darlings!)

P.S) If you are feeling inspired to try some line drawing, but are little intimidated by your pen, may I suggest Ed Emberley's step by step drawing guides? They are loads of fun and once you get started, you won't be able to stop!

1 comment:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How interesting! I can't wait to follow the links! Thanks! And guess what I received in the mail today! MY BOOK! It came over the mountains and across the sea and it is HERE! Thank you very much! I will enjoy it! Have fun on your adventure! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...