Friday, May 14, 2010

Cake Stands and Tea Trays from Vintage China Tutorial

I'm planning a tea party for my girlfriends and I to celebrate spring (and the end of the school year!) and I wanted some artfully mismatched tea trays and cake stands to make all the dainty little sandwiches and petite fours feel even more elegant. My Do It Yourself versions turned out beautifully, so I'm sharing the How To with you!

I hit the local thrift and antique shops to round up a collection of mismatched china, candlesticks and vases in varying sizes.

Before getting started, make sure your plate and candlestick combos can balance without epoxy- that way you can trust them to adhere well and remain sturdy once laden down with cookies and cakes!

You will need:

Vintage China in varying sizes
Candlestick or small bud vase
Ruler
Marker
Epoxy
Masking Tape
Measure your plate to find the center. (In the end, I just eyeballed it, but The Fab Miss B isn't exactly known for her mathematical precision either.)


Working quickly, cover the area to be adhered with epoxy and place on plate.

Use a q-tip to clean away any excess epoxy (which will dry yellow, so you don't want any glops!) I used nail polish remover to get it super clean.

Apply masking tape to keep it steady (this step wasn't super necessary in my opinion, but it did secure everything.) Leave it undisturbed for 24 hours to ensure a strong bond.


Voila! Won't these be darling for my tea party? I'll be sure to post photos of the glamorous soiree in action. Are you planning any wonderful parties in the coming weeks?

3 comments:

Adriana said...

this is such a great idea. thanks for sharing

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I have never seen this done but I see things at my thrift store that would work well for this project! What a great idea! Thanks! ♥

Anonymous said...

I have boxes of vintage dishes from my great grandmother and was wondering if they are still okay to use for food?
They are probably from the 50s, 60s and 70s.

thanks,
Jacqueline

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...