Wednesday, March 03, 2010

DIY with the Fab Miss B: Plumeria Leis

We had our first house guests recently, and I decided to try my hand at lei making.


I gathered the gorgeous pink and white plumeria from our backyard and strung them on some sturdy thread with an embroidery needle. You could use any hearty flower with a solid center. Some leis are made entirely from petals, but I imagine they take hours to create. It took far more blossoms then I supposed, but the fragrance and color were wonderful, and it was a fun way to welcome them to the Big Island!

Here's a bit of lei etiquette you may not know. When you are finished with a lei, you should never throw it in the garbage, as that represents tossing away the love of the giver. Instead, put your lei in a place where it can return to the earth. I like to hang mine on trees in the garden.

What about you? Have you learned something new recently?

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Well, I learned that you should never throw a lei away! Ha, ha! That is SO interesting! Thanks! And your lei is very pretty :)

Jennifer said...

I love this post. The leis are beautiful, and just looking at the vibrant pictures brightens up a gray Chicago day :) I loved learning this - nice work!

lauren said...

I heard that you could put them in the ocean (while yer visiting or if you take a boat out to sea, etc.), and if they float back to the Islands, it means that you'll be back again some day... I think this might have been in a old movie though...not sure, all I know is not to take certain lava like rocks home in one's suitcase from some big ole volcano over there or you'll piss off some Goddess big time and be sending them back post haste...ahahahaha!!! Enough of my nightclub act, Becky, you look wonderful, so gorgeous!!! Goddess Bless!!! Lauren

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...