Friday, October 30, 2009

Collecting: My Souvenier Plates

My boxes are still trickling in a few at a time and I'm so enjoying finding new homes for all my beautiful things. Many of these objects have been in storage since we left Chicago- almost five years ago! It's been wonderful to take them out and enjoy them at last. Having my own things here has also helped me to feel more at home in this house that belongs to someone else.


I've been collecting these old fashioned souvenir plates since I was fifteen. They are among my most treasured possessions. They showcase my favorite colors- blue and green, and they represent the unique aspects of each place that make travel such a joy. They are also a lovely reminder of what a huge and varied country the United States is and how glad I am to have been born here. Who knew silly plates could correlate so deeply with my personal aesthetic?

I should also give a shout to my hubby for hanging these for me so prettily! He's got an eye, don't you agree?

I am always on the lookout for this style of souvenir plate and they seem to have become more scarce since I first began collecting them, so if you ever spot any on Ebay or Etsy, don't be shy- let me know. I get awfully excited when I discover a new one!

Do you have any collections? What do they represent to you?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...