Monday, July 07, 2008

Some very late Peonies...



Peonies are my all time favorite flower. In the course of our travels I've missed out on peony season (early June in Minnesota) for three years running. So when we arrived in Minneapolis, I was shocked to gardens full of them in early July! I scoured the city for some to buy, grocery stores, Trader Joe's and even Bachman's were dead ends.

Just when I was considering sneaking into someone's garden with my clippers in the dead of night, I found these lovelies at the farmers market. I love how those pink and white blooms slump over like sailors on shore for leave- they must be drunk on beauty. I've been carrying them around the house with me so I can stare at them adoringly- and I'm doing lots and lots of deep inhaling. What is it about the scent of peonies? Its just so subtle and fresh and vaguely green. I'm a very happy girl.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...