Friday, August 17, 2012

Happy Birthday Hawaii. Here's what you've taught me.

Photo via Hawaii Magazine with a fascinating article about why statehood is still controversial in this state.

Today is the 53rd anniversary of Hawaii's admission to the United States. Government offices (including schools) are all closed. Not everyone in Hawaii is glad to be part of the United States but I wanted to mark today by making note of what I've learned during my three years here, as we prepare to leave. 

I've learned not to focus on what a place isn't, but what it isI've learned that even on an island, it's easier to try to change everyone but yourself. And I've also learned that there is a Hawaii that I have only seen hints of. This island has mana, energy, "the stuff of which magic is made", that is palpable. This isn't something your mind understands, but something you feel in your body and soul, and I know it moves me and helped to heal and prepare me for what is coming next. I am so grateful for that. 

Mahalo Nui Loa Hawai'i. I'll return to you. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...