Monday, April 18, 2011

Eric's Birthday Dinner

For E's Birthday this year, I prepared a Nelson Family classic: Sauerkraut & Dumplings. This recipe was Diane's Mom's. By all accounts, she was an amazing cook, and every time I make this dish I feel like I am paying her a little tribute. Though I never got to meet her, I've been able to taste her cooking. That is the marvelous power of food.

The secret to the sauerkraut is to cook it with a seared pork loin so that it gets tender and begins to caramelize slightly. The pork roasts for hours in those vinegary juices until it is moist and falling apart. The bread dumplings are made with bread cubes, egg, milk and flour and then boiled till slightly puffed and chewy.

Birthday boy digs in!

His birthday cake? German chocolate of course. I used a mix for the cake, but did the frosting myself. It was SO much better than the vile stuff that comes in a can- without that chemical aftertaste! I always tease him about how his entire Birthday dinner is a variety of beige. Comfort food is wonderful stuff, don't you agree? What is your favorite family recipe?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...