Friday, April 04, 2008

Gramma's Granola

Those of you who've tired of me singing China's praises will be happy to know that not everything is dirt cheap here. Cereal is decidedly not cheap and decidedly inferior to good old American cereal. (We Americans have long been masters of the complex and mysterious art of keeping things crunchy in milk. We are also innovators when it comes to giving the people what they want; namely more chocolate, marshmallows and sugar in general, as part of this complete breakfast).

Since the cornflakes here are $8 a box and quickly reduced to floppy grey specs with the introduction of milk, my solution has been homemade granola. Corn flakes may not be cheap, but sunflower seeds, oats, honey and almonds most definitely are.

One minor setback is the dehydrated fruit available to me here. Quantity is no hindrance; there are lots and lots of options (dehydrated rosehips being the most exotic and soap flavored I've taste tested thus far). Plums, ginger, cherries, tomatoes (remember, they take that "tomato is a fruit" thing quite literally here) are all readily available. The problem is the taste of said fruit. It is all covered in this strange white grainy chemical, which tastes incredibly salty and sulphuric. Even after repeated washing/soaking/boiling, the flavor lingers. Luckily the raisins are revived with a good washing under cool water and in the end taste just fine(though sadly without the musical talents of their American brethren.)




Here are my Mom's instructions for her famous granola which is definitely sustaining me each and every morning. Thanks mom!

"I make it in the microwave but you can toast it in the oven if you don't have a
microwave. If your microwave is small you may need to divide this into two batches. Be careful to stir completely and really watch it at the end as it goes from toasty to burnt in a microsecond." (*Perhaps burning things is just part of my genetic inheritance.)

Gramma's Granola
4 T. butter
3/4 c. honey
3 c. thick cut oats, not instant
1c. shredded coconut
1c. sunflower seeds, or nuts of your choice sliced
almonds are good
2 T. white sesame seed (*I've been adding more because I love sesame seeds and I can buy them buy the kilo here)
1 T. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. raisins, or dried fruit of your choice, I like dried cranberries

In a large bowl, microwave butter 30 sec. add honey, oats, coconut, seeds/nuts, cinnamon and salt. Stir. Spread in an even layer(3/4" deep or so)on carousel
tray. Microwave 6- 10 min., STIRRING EVERY 2 MINUTES until light golden brown.
Stir in dried fruit after it's toasty brown and cool.

For Homemade Granola Bars you can try this:

Beat 2 egg whites until peaks form a meringue. In microwave heat 2T honey, 1t. cinnamon until warm(I haven't tried it, but I bet you could add some peanut butter here too.)Add honey mixture to egg whites, then fold in 4c. granola. Press into greased foil lined 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 15 min. Remove and cut in squares before it cools, then pop in freezer to cool further before removing from pan.

If you make up your own batch, be sure to let me know how it turns out. I don't even miss Honey Nut Cheerios/Corn Flakes/Kix/or Frosted Mini Wheats with this toasty goodness and a little yogurt in the morning.

3 comments:

Rosebud Collection said...

Love your blog and happy I just found it..will bookmark it and visit it all the time..Good recipe, thanks..

The Fab Miss B said...

Thanks so much for reading! Let me know how you like the granola. Its a family favorite.

Anonymous said...

Excellent. I really do like this granola. I don't think I'll make it for myself until I leave Madison...

...it just seems like too much, like the next stop is hemp necklaces and pechuli.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...